Tuesday, July 28, 2009

To the hospital again

This time it’s Buboy that was hospitalized, but his is for a far more serious reason.

Buboy called me from work Monday night, July 20, asking for a pill to help him with his headache. I thought he was just having one of his migraine attacks. When we met to go home later he complained of fever. He was burning hot when I touched him. It was a hard effort for him to drive home and the two-hour traffic made it even worst. I was really worried but we thought it was just flu. Buboy slept immediately when we reached the house while I stayed up late until past 2:00am watching over him, wiping him with a wet towel to bring down the fever. We stayed at home the following day, Buboy regularly taking Biogesic to calm the high fever down and Alaxan to ease the body pain. Early morning of Wednesday, chills came and that’s when I decided to bring him to the hospital.

It is really hard when the only person who knows how to drive is sick. We had to ask one of the neighbors to bring us to the nearest hospital. After some blood and urine tests the ER doctor decided to admit Buboy. The doctor who followed-up on us that afternoon said Buboy has a viral infection and they still have to verify if it is typhoid fever or dengue. We learned it was dengue late that night. Buboy became like a pin cushion with the multiple blood extraction to monitor his platelets. The doctor said he has to eat so his body can fight but Buboy has no appetite. He was released from the hospital on the third day of his confinement. His platelets are stable, his fever is gone, and his appetite is back… and I am just so thankful.

The experience wasn’t good for both Buboy and me. I was so worried but I dare not show him that because I don’t want him to worry about me too. I texted my family and close friends to ask them to pray for Buboy especially during the time when the doctors are still not sure what is wrong with him. I am very thankful because everyone texted back and I know they all prayed for Buboy. Then there was the issue of where he was placed in the hospital. We used the HMO given by the Company he works for. His coverage is only for a ward room which would be okay if it was in a hospital where ward rooms are still nice. I kept thinking that if we were in Pasig when this happened, it would have been easier to bring him to Medical City where ward rooms are so much more pleasant. Good thing Mama visits and bring fresh supplies everyday.

But nevertheless, Buboy is well again and we are home again, that is what’s important. I pray he won’t be so sick again… that neither of us be sick again.

-chebong

No comments: