Monday, June 22, 2009

Remembering Basti

Basti left us two weeks ago to join and play with Baldo and Lolo in heaven. Basti was with my family for 7-8 years and so we miss him terribly.

Basti was given to us by my good friend Mox. My Lolo was the one who took him when he arrived to our house. Since that day they developed a kind of bond. I know this because I saw it. When my Lolo had a stroke in the middle of the night that eventually led to his death several days after, it was Basti who woke us all up and showed us Lolo lying beside his bed. During that time we had other dogs beside Basti, but it was him who barks and barks even when he was told to shut up until Tatay got up and followed him. And then there was the time when his friend Baldo (our other dog) died. I cannot believe the grief that I saw in Basti. I didn’t believe dogs can have feelings until then.

I miss Basti. He was not an ordinary pet. He was not an ordinary dog. And he was not an ordinary friend.

-chebong

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your grief, chebong. I have a cat at home and nor I believed in animals' feelings. But, listening to stories like yours or looking at my cat...sometimes he's scared, sometimes he seems to laugh at me or to understand what I say, he even remembers his doctor (he hates him)I'm starting to count animals more and more similar to us. Hope you'll find soon another friend like Basti.

Buboy & Chebong said...

Thank you Fernando. It's nice to know others understand me and not think i'm just starting to get crazy. :)